Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Recognizing God's Guidance



One of the things I'm so grateful for in life is how God does give direction when I ask.

This morning I woke up early and my mind started thinking about a friend I have some issues with. A friend who I feel like the situation may not be very equal; I'm feeling like this is a relationship where I'm giving but my needs are not getting met. As I lay there in bed I recounted in my mind all the ways this person isn't measuring up. I thought about having a sit down conversation with this friend; but I hesitated, maybe I'm being selfish or just too hard on this person. Or perhaps my concerns are valid but now is not the best, or most effective, time to discuss my concerns. So I prayed about it.

A few hours later I found out about some stressful things going on in this friend's life right now and I thought hummmm....maybe now isn't the best time. I prayed and asked God for direction and now I'm finding out some circumstantial information that makes me lean toward not talking at this time. But I wasn't quite sure yet so I prayed and asked God to please let me know if now's the time for me to just be silent and wait on God or if now's the time to talk with the person.

Then I came upon this passage as I was having a time to read the word and pray at the beginning of my day:

So let's agree to use all our energy in getting along with each other. Help others with encouraging words; don't drag them down by finding fault. You're certainly not going to permit an argument over what is served or not served at supper to wreck God's work among you, are you? I said it before and I'll say it again: All food is good, but it can turn bad if you use it badly, if you use it to trip others up and send them sprawling. When you sit down to a meal, your primary concern should not be to feed your own face but to share the life of Jesus. So be sensitive and courteous to the others who are eating. Don't eat or say or do things that might interfere with the free exchange of love.

Romans 4:19-21 (The Message)

That line about "Help others with encouraging words; don't drag them down by finding fault." really stood out to me today. I felt like it was the second time I was pointed in the direction of not talking with the friend now (if ever). That my words would just be all about finding fault instead of extending grace.

As the day wore on and I became immersed in the activities of the day. But a few times things came up that reminded me about pleasant things with this friend and I found that I no longer had the desire to focus on problems in the situation.

As I look at my question to God I can see How he used circumstances, the bible and my heart as I was seeking Him to provide direction. God definitely speaks; as I increase in my ability at Discerning the Voice of God I'm better able to recognize His Guidance.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin