In John 10:10 Jesus promises His followers abundant life. This blog is about my life as His follower.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Being alert and present


Sometimes it's easy to go through life in kind of a haze; just going through the motions. Not really being "present". It really sucks for people like my husband and sons when I get that way.

Recently I joined a bible study group at church. We're going through a bible study by Priscilla Shirer entitled # "Discerning the voice of God".

As I was doing today's devotional for the study, one of the scripture passages really stood out to me. It's just so beautiful:

"Forget about what's happened;
don't keep going over old history.
Be alert, be present. I'm about to do something brand-new.

It's bursting out! Don't you see it?

There it is! I'm making a road through the desert,
rivers in the badlands.
Wild animals will say 'Thank you!'

—the coyotes and the buzzards—

Because I provided water in the desert,
rivers through the sun-baked earth,
Drinking water for the people I chose,
the people I made especially for myself,
a people custom-made to praise me."

Isaiah 43:18-19 (The Message)

I remarried close to 2 years ago and we moved to this beautiful, very small, town close to 1 year ago. Since we moved here I've had a challenging time finding my place in this community and my local church. I have yet to make any close friends. I feel a bit like I've been in an emotional desert and was encouraged that God would provide for me.

I also felt prompted not look to how God did things for me in the past and try to be guided by that; but to just be alert and see how He's going to work now. No pre designed scripts; just living life each day as it comes.

Remaining right here, right now, in the present and watching for what He is doing."

1 comment:

Christine said...

Hi there! I wanted you to know what a blessing your blog is to me. I am visiting you about once per week to check in. This blog entry was beautiful! Like you, I recently remarried 2 years ago to my husband who is a Pastor. We have an abundant life! Praise be to Jesus! I also am without friends and am in a dessert place. However, I draw near to the Lord and He fills me with His presence. You are a blessing to me :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin