Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Being alert and present


Sometimes it's easy to go through life in kind of a haze; just going through the motions. Not really being "present". It really sucks for people like my husband and sons when I get that way.

Recently I joined a bible study group at church. We're going through a bible study by Priscilla Shirer entitled # "Discerning the voice of God".

As I was doing today's devotional for the study, one of the scripture passages really stood out to me. It's just so beautiful:

"Forget about what's happened;
don't keep going over old history.
Be alert, be present. I'm about to do something brand-new.

It's bursting out! Don't you see it?

There it is! I'm making a road through the desert,
rivers in the badlands.
Wild animals will say 'Thank you!'

—the coyotes and the buzzards—

Because I provided water in the desert,
rivers through the sun-baked earth,
Drinking water for the people I chose,
the people I made especially for myself,
a people custom-made to praise me."

Isaiah 43:18-19 (The Message)

I remarried close to 2 years ago and we moved to this beautiful, very small, town close to 1 year ago. Since we moved here I've had a challenging time finding my place in this community and my local church. I have yet to make any close friends. I feel a bit like I've been in an emotional desert and was encouraged that God would provide for me.

I also felt prompted not look to how God did things for me in the past and try to be guided by that; but to just be alert and see how He's going to work now. No pre designed scripts; just living life each day as it comes.

Remaining right here, right now, in the present and watching for what He is doing."

1 comment:

The Everyday Life of A Wife and Mother said...

Hi there! I wanted you to know what a blessing your blog is to me. I am visiting you about once per week to check in. This blog entry was beautiful! Like you, I recently remarried 2 years ago to my husband who is a Pastor. We have an abundant life! Praise be to Jesus! I also am without friends and am in a dessert place. However, I draw near to the Lord and He fills me with His presence. You are a blessing to me :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin