Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Friday, October 5, 2007

Financial Security


I think most Americans have it all wrong when it comes to financial security.

The most profound words on this topic that I can think of were some that Jesus had to say:

“If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.

"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.” (Matthew 6:32-34)

He said so much in these few words! Life isn’t about getting. Of course you can’t tell that when you turn on the TV and see the commercials or listen to the radio or drive down the freeway. We are bombarded with the idea that having stuff is where it’s really at. (BTW-ever heard George Carlin’s routine on Stuff. Very funny and true.) It’s as if we think that somehow our stuff gives us importance or happiness.

Not only do we, as a culture in America, think we need stuff, but then we go into debt to get it all! It drives me crazy. I’ve worked with plenty of people trying to help them get their finances in order. It always comes down to making a spending plan and just buying what they can afford and differentiating between needs and wants.

But Jesus went beyond that. He presents a whole different approach to life. He speaks of steeping your life with God-reality, initiative and provisions. What a better way to go!

I’m so grateful for God’s mercy and grace in my life. I mess up so much but He’s still good to me and I can always count on Him. In my career it’s a kind of underneath the surface knowledge that people who do what I do (licensed nursing home administrator) are sometimes fired quickly by companies to make situations go away. Let’s say a department of health surprise survey is going bad for a myriad of reasons, it’s always easy to say it’s that bad administrator’s fault and just fire him/her to buy time and get things in order. That bothers a lot of my colleagues immensely but it’s never stressed me. The reason is because God is my source and He blesses me with my job to use my talents/gifts/skills and provide for my family. But my real source for my family is Him. So I never have to be worried; I can just be obedient, do what I believe is right at work and leave the rest to Him.

Yep, Jesus’ way is definitely better.

I want to spend time meditating today more on His words here.

1 comment:

Mother Freedom said...

I work in a residential setting with adults who have MR/DD. I so hear you on the "convenient dismissal" issue.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin