Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The silver lining

Photo from The Hollywood Republican
I have a love-hate relationship with my job.

I love many of the people with whom I work.  They genuinely care for the patients.  They're smart and go above and beyond.  They have that same dark humor that makes us all laugh at terrible things.  It is never boring because there's always some new drama going on with the patients or staff. I have lots of autonomy. I feel like I can make a difference. The drive to work is a stress free 40 minutes - none of the all too common congested freeway traffic common to southern California.

It's a bummer when family members are mean and unreasonable.  I hate it when my DON lies and manipulates. Or when she engages in behaviors that make me think about the fact that it's my license on the wall and it's me who will ultimately face the consequences. I hate that money is often such a stress because the owner doesn't reimburse petty cash quickly. We can't get credit accounts so we do much of our business on a cash basis. I frequently have to go into my pocket or use my credit card and then a month or two later I'll get paid back.

Lately I've been spending time reflecting on these verses:

14 Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.”Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky. Philippians 2:14-15a (NIV)

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,
Colossians 3:23 (NIV)

I pray that God would do for me what I can not do for myself.  That He would put a guard on my lips and let me a positive light that reflects His glory in my work place.  I remind myself to focus on those things that are good where I work.  I look for things at my work that I can specifically petition God regarding.  I want to see Him work and change things here.

When I look back over the past year that I've worked here, I can see many positive changes that have been made. I may not get everything I want here, but I've sure got a lot of good things.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin