Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Learning to lead my heart



Constantly I'm hearing messages around me to "follow your heart".

I disagree.

Jeremiah 17:9-10 (MSG) tells me:

"The heart is hopelessly dark and deceitful,
a puzzle that no one can figure out.
But I, God, search the heart
and examine the mind.
I get to the heart of the human.
I get to the root of things.
I treat them as they really are,
not as they pretend to be."

My heart isn't good. God is good and He can change my heart as I look to, abide in and submit to Him.

Nowhere is this so important to remember as in marriage.

My heart, my emotions, will want what I want; my heart is selfish. I must choose to lead my heart. I must choose to protect and guide my heart in my marriage. I must chose to lead my heart toward what is good in the long run instead of what feels good in the moment.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin