Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Monday, August 24, 2009

Grateful


Today I find myself grateful once again for God's perfect timing.

Last night my 21-yr old son emailed me that during this past weekend he'd asked his girlfriend to marry him. Now, I'd known this was coming. They are both students who are in their last year at West Point. She'd came to our home for part of the last Christmas break, he'd shown me a picture of the ring he was buying her...but somehow it being DONE is different. I experienced intense emotions last night. I thought about how they are so young, they are so busy they barely have time to pull off a wedding that they are planning to have right after graduation - much less learn about marriage, they both come from poor backgrounds with regard to learning about healthy marriage and family life...

Then this morning, during my Bible study time, I come upon my memory verse in Hebrews 11:1:

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see

The companion book I've been reading encourages me that I can have faith in God because of what scripture tells me of His character. There are so many accounts in the old testament that portray God's trustworthiness and faithfulness. Hebrews 10:23 (NLT) tells me:

Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.

What is my hope? That God is good and has good plans for our lives; that includes both my son and his intended. Many times God made promises to His children Israel in the Old Testament; those promises that are indicative of Who God is, how He works in relationship, can apply to us as His followers today too. I hope in the words from Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV):

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

I am grateful that I can rest in the truth that God has good plans, a good future for my son and his wife to be.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin