Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Only God

I've not posted in a long time because I've been writing, writing, and writing some more for school.

But I just had to share about how God blessed me!

I've shared here about all the tribulations I've been through with my jobs.  Since 2009 when the economy tanked, I've been underemployed and making around 60% of what I used to make.  I've tried to seize opportunities where I've been working to make a difference. I've sought to be a person of gratitude.  Sometimes, by God's grace, I've been successful in these two endeavors.

Recently this is what God did:

  • I was not seeking a job or applying for work or even talking about getting another job.
  • The Clinical Director of a small management company with whom I used to work contacted me.
  • We scheduled an interview on a  Friday that she had to cancel.  We rescheduled for the next Tuesday and I was going to leave work, drive out to Victorville (close to a 50 mile trip), and then go back to work and make up the time.
  • I prepared.  I researched the facility, got together an outfit, got a sharp looking notebook to bring in to the interview, read up on tips for effective interviewing.
  • Monday DPH showed up at a building where I am training the new administrator for their annual re-certification survey so I called the clinical director on Monday and explained and asked to re-schedule.  She said yes we'd do it the next week.
  • Tuesday I arrived at work at a home in Riverside at 6:30AM which meant I left home at 5:30AM.  I'd arrived home from work the prior day at 9:30PM.  I left the house with wet hair.  It was a hot day, my jacket was wrinkled, I had on sandals and looked rather dreadful.
  • The clinical director called me and said herself and the company owner would drive to where I was at and could I just meet with them for 10 minutes.  I felt I had to say yes so I gave her the address of a Starbucks nearby.
  • They arrived around 4PM, after DPH had left for the day.
  • I talked with them for around an hour.  Instead of it being a typical interview they told me all about the job and the kind of person they wanted and what they expected of that person.  I asked a ton of questions -but not the interview type - just sincere questions in response to what I heard. My deficits from not having ran a geriatric building were out in the open.  I think that I presented myself as exactly who I am-none of the make-yourself-look-good stuff that the literature suggests  you do in interviews.
  • The owner asked if I had any more questions and I said no.  No one seemed to be ending the interview so I thanked them for their time and I had to go back to work.  I told the clinical director I'd call her.
  • 5 minutes after I got back to work the clinical director called me. She asked me how much I wanted for salary and when I could start.  I always hate that question about how much I want so I named a number.  She said no don't ask for that and said a number $10K higher.  She talked with the owner and came back with a salary $5K higher than I'd originally named.  The owner had also included a bonus of $1K per quarter for any quarter in which there are 50 or more medicaid patients (they are currently running in the low 30s) every day of the month.  
I did not make this happen in any way.  Only God could have made this happen.  By the way there are only 3 nursing homes in the high desert area and this one is a 5-star facility.  I am grateful.

1 comment:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Praise the Lord.

Best wishes in this new venture.

God bless you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin