Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Rethinking what I believe about women in ministry

I grew up in a southern Baptist church.  I was born in 1960.  Both of these events have contributed greatly to my view of women in ministry.

A few years ago my youngest son asked me about women in ministry.  I went to the Word to answer him.  I even wrote about  it here.   As much as I want to say that it's all about the Holy Spirit leading me when I read the word, it's not that simple.  Other things affect me as I read the word; among them are my culture,  frame of reference, experience and how much time I'm willing to invest digging in and studying.  In all these things I trust that God will work to lead me to His truth.  Sometimes I understand truths over time.  Sometimes I am not able to understand them at one point in time but am able to understand later.

Maybe it's that way about the whole women thing.  Maybe not. I'm not sure yet.  But I am open to whatever God wants to show me in His Word.

I find a series of articles put out by Fuller seminary on women in ministry worthwhile. 

Today I've got other things I need to be doing but plan to spend some more time thinking about this topic and doing some research in future days.




3 comments:

Mike said...

Tracy, this is one area I struggle with as well. I'm somewhat of a "traditionalist", but I also recognize there are godly, gifted women out there who SHOULD be teachers.

Here's my question: Why is it OK for women to teach Sunday School or children's ministries, but not the rest of the adult congregation? And why, then, is it OK for men to sit quietly and not teach ANYTHING simply because they don't get to teach the congregation?

This one's a tough one.

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin