Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Can I see God? - Advent day 14

Photo from sandraheskaking.com
Throughout the advent season there exists the four-fold juxtaposition of Jesus.  Jesus foretold of in the old
testament.  Jesus who was born to this earth as a human.  Jesus who will come again.  Jesus who is the king of my heart and life.

Throughout all four contexts there always runs the theme of the question.  The question of if we see Jesus.

Scriptures such as Psalm 80:1-20 depict Israel's plea to God to see them and restore them.  Historically we know that it was not God who left Israel, it was the nation who chose to turn their backs on Him.  I look in Matthew 13:55-57 and see how when Jesus walked among us, people in his own home town did not recognize Him as the awaited Messiah.  Even when Jesus was doing miracles, they wrote Him and His miraculous actions off.  In Matthew 17:1-13 I read about the transfiguration.  In the second half of the 11th verse through the 13th verse I read these words of Jesus:

“To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.” 13 Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.

Jesus was talking about how God's prophet, and then God Himself, was with the people but they did not even see Him.

How often do I miss seeing God?  How often is He working but I miss it because I'm so involved in my own agenda?

May God's Holy Spirit in me sharpen my ability to see God and His work in the world around me.

Oh Father, thank You for Jesus.  Thank You that You came to this earth.  I'm sorry that we missed you then and that I miss you so often today.  Help me to stop missing you.  Change me from the inside out so that I can see you working around me.  Help me participate with You in the work You're doing around me daily in my world.

2 comments:

RCUBEs said...

Amen to your prayer! And may you have a wonderful Christmas and an awesome 2014. I love that you are reflecting on the Lord Who is the true meaning of this special season.

Tracy said...

May your Christmas be wonderful too. I want to get away from all the external stuff and focus on the event of Jesus coming to earth and what it means to me this day.

On the fun side - my oldest son who's in the army and stationed in North Carolina will be home tonight. Sunday his girlfriend Rachel will come to spend the holiday week with us! I'm assuming he's serious with this woman since he's bringing her home and I'm excited to meet her.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin