Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A life of Focus



I came across the following quote from Oliver Wendall Holmes today:


"I find the greatest thing in this world not so much where we stand, as in the direction we are moving. To reach the port of heaven, we must sometimes sail with the wind, and sometimes against it, but we sail, and not drift, nor live at anchor."


Heaven will be mine, totally by the grace and goodness of God through Jesus Christ. But I want more than just the some day; I want a life of value. When my life here on earth is finished I want to know that I made a difference.


A few years ago I spent some time thinking about what I wanted the focus of my life to be. My pondering brought me to the words of Jesus recorded in Matthew 22:37-40 (NLT):

37 Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”


I want to live my life whole heartedly for God with Him in the driver's seat. I want my life to be consumed with loving God and loving people in ways that are real each and every day.


Basically I just try to be alert each day to opportunities. Lately I've also decided to periodically take some time out and away from the daily; time with God. Time to review my life and see if there are any things getting in the way of my loving God and people. Time to seek how God wants me to respond to any barriers.





No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin