Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Empanadas


Today I decided to try making empanadas.

I've been wanting to make them for awhile. The ones I've had previously were stingy on the filling so I wanted to make my own.

I found and modified a recipe for the outer dough on Ask.com. Here's my modified recipe that I used:

Empanada Dough Recipe

Ingredients:
• 6 cups flour (plus a little more for kneading)
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 cup cold water
• 3 eggs
• 2 teaspoons vinegar
• 8 tablespoons shortening (or 1 stick butter)

Preparation:
1. In a bowl, beat the water, egg, egg white and vinegar together. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and salt.
3. Cut the shortening into the flour mix with a pastry blender or two butter knives. Make a well in the center of the flour mix and pour the liquid ingredients from the first bowl into the center.
4. Mix the wet and dry ingredients with a fork until it becomes stiff.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it just until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth.
6. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but never more than 24 hours.

Tip: If you want to keep the dough longer than 24 hours, you can freeze it.
Servings: Makes approximately 25 six-inch empanadas.

Filling:
Cook 1 1/2 lbs ground beef with finely diced onion and garlic and drain any grease.
1 can of corn drained
1 can of drained black olives, sliced.
3/4 cup Pico de gallo (I have a recipe for this under the Home Life label)
1 1/2 cup mixture of grated jack cheese and sharp cheddar cheese

Roll out dough and cut into 6 inch rounds. Put some filling into each round. Fold over and close ends together with a fork.

Bake in preheated 350 oven until golden brown.

These are delicious!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin