Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

When it's time for us to know, we will


When it comes right down to it, I'm not good at waiting for anything. I don't like waiting, it feels like a waste of time. I want to do something NOW.

I'm this way with God too.

Often I want to know what His plans for me are regarding specific situations right way; so I can get to work on it. In my head I know that He has the greater perspective and has the perfect timing and plan - but I just wish He'd hurry up!

As I'm working through the bible study workbook Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shirer I came across the following statement she makes that really spoke to me:

"Nothing takes God off guard. When we fell rushed and hurried to make a decision not rooted in a deep confidence of inner peace, God probably has not spoken. Nowhere in Scripture does God tell anyone to rush into making a decision. On the contrary, He patiently and persistently gives us clarity before requiring obedience. If you feel an overwhelming urge to act spontaneously, pull in the reigns."

I needed to be reminded of that today.

I've been praying for guidance concerning my career. Just over a year ago we moved to a small, mountain community and my prior job was just too far away to commute, plus I wanted more time with my sons. Due to the lower cost of housing in this community, after my husband and I purchased this home, there was some money left so I didn't have to go back to work right away. Right now I have enough money to make it for about another year; I might even be able to stretch it out to two.

As I'm looking toward the eventual return to work I'm thinking about what I want to do. My former career was one I loved but that took way too much time away from my family. It was awesome but extremely stressful. Since I'm now married, I do not have the need to make as much money as I did previously. I'm looking into if I'd like to teach. Yesterday I went to the local university's teacher informational meeting. I found that the world has drastically changed since I was in college and since the No Child Left Behind mandates 7 years ago, it requires much more specific education to become a teacher. I'm looking at needing to take 3 quarters of full time college before I could obtain a full credential to teach (and then I'd be making about 1/3 of what I made at my last job). So, me being me, I'm thinking that if I want to do this teaching thing I need to get going on it. That way I could go back part time for the next 5 quarters and get the coursework done before my money runs out and I'd be credentialed to teach right about the time I need to resume working.

But I'm not sure that this is the right thing for my family and myself. And, of course, I want an answer RIGHT NOW.

I'm thinking how sometimes God wants us to wait because of what He does in us during the waiting. That the process is part of what makes the end decision work.

But I still don't enjoy the waiting.

How about you? Are you good at waiting on God? Can you think of a time in your life when you struggled with waiting on God; how'd that situation turn out?

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin