Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Holiday Honor


Are you feeling fractured and frazzled this Christmas Season?

For many the holidays bring a frenzied flurry of activities that leaves them anxious, discontent, lonely and tired.

At this time of the year there are always parties. For some these are the high point of the season; for these folks the parties bring out people all of whom are in a good mood. They find the decorations captivating; they see the night is dark but the fireplace and candles are bright - everything feels almost magical. For others these are just obligatory events on their long to do list.

Today as I was in the Word, I read a wonderful passage that gave me a different take on parties as well as some practical insight into handling holiday anxieties and loneliness. The passage is Psalms 91:14-16 (The Message paraphrase):

"If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God,
"I'll get you out of any trouble.
I'll give you the best of care
if you'll only get to know and trust me.
Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times;

I'll rescue you, then throw you a party.

I'll give you a long life,
give you a long drink of salvation!"

God is calling us to Himself this Christmas Season.

He promises that if we will hold on to Him, take the time out of our too busy schedules for what really matters - getting to know Him and growing in our trust of Him - that He will take care of us. We don't have to be in charge of the universe running about getting a million things done and feeling all alone. He will be with us and He'll throw us a party.

This concept of party used in this scripture is one of honoring someone. God will honor us if we choose to devote ourselves to Him. Repeatedly we see this theme in scripture that as we follow after God, He will give us honor (John 12:16, 1 Samuel 2:30, Psalm 91:15).

I don't know about you but I much prefer the thought of experiencing the honor of God on my life this Christmas Season, than the idea of being a busy, exhausted, frazzled person. I've made a commitment to make sure that I make time to meditate on God and be in His word this season. Some other things can slide, but time in God's presence and in His Word is a must.




No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin