Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The myth of having it all together

Have you ever seen someone who really looks like they've got it all together?

I used to be so impressed by those "perfect families", ultra professional women, or people who were super talented that I'd meet. But as the years have gone by I've come to see that no one is perfect. Everyone has faults. In fact, interestingly enough, the people who come across as perfect usually are the most messed up.

I'm so grateful that God doesn't demand perfection!

My heart rejoices as I read these words recorded in Romans 5:7-9 (NASV):

For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die.

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.

The good news is that God loves me (and everyone else too!) just as I am.

I am so grateful for His grace. In fact, it is precisely because of His grace toward me that I do not have to hide my faults and try to look perfect. I don't have to demand perfection from those around me either.

I really like the way Brennan Manning talks about this in his book The Ragamuffin Gospel:

"The mature Christians I have met along the way are those who have failed and have learned to live gracefully with their failure. Faithfulness requires the courage to risk everything on Jesus, the willingness to keep growing, the readiness to risk failure throughout our lives."

What are some experiences you've had with the myth of having it all together?

6 comments:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

I'm with you on the Great Myth of Perfection. I have been so duped in years past into thinking that I would never be able to attain or obtain what some of these people have...only to find out it's an illusion.

I wish I could be the perfect homeschooling mother, Betty Crocker wife, Martha Stewart homemaker, and wise-as-Solomon perfect best friend.

Truth is, if I was all that, what would I need God's grace for?

Great post!

Kathleen Frangeskos said...

Hi,
What a beautiful, well written, uplifting blog site!
Congrats to you!

I love this Post...sometimes keeping everything together perfectly is just a dream...

All the best to you

Anonymous said...

I like to tell myself the perfect people are the most messed up, but sometimes I just can't see it.

Jenn said...

I see it all the time...with parents of toddlers. I have a 3 year old and he pushes the limits often...I call it learning the boundaries. Other parent's toddlers are just so well behaved...and they listen and I wonder how they bribe those kids in acting so well. My child just doesn't want to sit still...unless he isn't asked to. LOL. I am far from being perfect and I will be the first to tell you that...and I am okay with it...because I know those imperfections make me...well...ME!

Great blog. Cheers, Jenn.

Tracy said...

I'm with you in gratitude for God's grace Chel.

Thanks K.

Alice, I don't always see it at first either. Plus, there are lots of people who aren't perfect but who are really good people with really good lives - those aren't who I'm referring to in this post.

Jenn, as a mother of 3 boys I always had quite a time when they were toddlers. It seemed that my boys were kind of on the wild side and, while I expected obedience, I wanted them to be curious and explore. All I can tell you is that now they're 21, 16 & 15 and are do excellent in school/college and know how to behave (they really do catch on eventually...) I'm always extra nice to those poor souls in grocery store lines, or other public places, whose toddlers decide it's time for humility lessons for their parents!

pixielation said...

I am downright RELIEVED to know that attaining the impossible isn't essential! I just try to excel at tiny things every day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin