Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Friday, September 18, 2009

Being Ready for the Tough Times

Have you ever noticed that some people are really prepared for calamity?

Financial analysts say you should have enough money set aside so that, if income stopped, you could continue for at least 3 months. There are lots of articles you can read on disaster preparedness; ways you can be safe and have supplies in the event of a natural disaster. While I think these ways of being prepared are important (I do both), I've discovered an even more valuable way to be prepared for the tough times in life.

This morning as I was reading in the Bible, I found that the words of Jeremiah the prophet, spoken so many years ago, that explained it perfectly:

God's Message:

"Cursed is the strong one
who depends on mere humans,
Who thinks he can make it on muscle alone
and sets God aside as dead weight.
He's like a tumbleweed on the prairie,
out of touch with the good earth.
He lives rootless and aimless
in a land where nothing grows.

"But blessed is the man who trusts me, God,
the woman who sticks with God.
They're like trees replanted in Eden,
putting down roots near the rivers—
Never a worry through the hottest of summers,
never dropping a leaf,
Serene and calm through droughts,
bearing fresh fruit every season.

Jeremiah 17:5-8 (MSG)

Heat or drought does not harm a tree that is planted near a river since that tree has access to water. Such a tree can still bear fruit under undesirable conditions. If I trust God and stick with Him, no matter what circumstances come my way, I can still live productively.

I never cease to be delighted with how simultaneously profound and practical the Bible is.

What's something that you've been blessed by in the Bible recently?

3 comments:

Inge' said...

While this is not a recent verse, it has been one of the most eye opening verses for me. Especially since I used to pride myself on my stubbornness.
"For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king." 1 Sam 15:23

When I first read and understood what I had been doing, it literally took me days to recover. I cried and prayed and confessed for days after that. I had no idea until that moment that my attitude of "it's my way or no way" was the same as idolatry!

I think at that moment I really became aware of just how much I have tarnished the reputation of Christ in my life. To think that He still forgives me is just beyond my feeble mind's ability to comprehend.

Tracy said...

Inge' I love to read what you write! Your heart is so toward our Lord. There's just nothing like reading the words of someone who desires to seek God foremost.

I too am a very very very ....grateful recipient of His grace and forgiveness.

Reading this reminds me how we're told that the Word of God is like a sword and pierces. In this incident it pierced your heart and changed you. How wonderful is that?!

Yeo KeeHui said...

The beauty of God's love is that it will hurt and heal all those who come near. He is my Redeemer, Protector, Provider.... all the days of my life. He never leave me and never will... but sometimes I do leave Him... then He brings me home again. I am really sorry for what I have done.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin