Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Sunday, March 20, 2011

I don’t have to defend myself

Today as I read 1 Kings 17:17-24 I was inspired by the actions of Elijah.

If you remember, this is the account where he had been living in Zarephath with a widow and her son. In 1 Kings 17:8-16 is the account of how he came to live with them. The account of how, in a time of drought and famine, God made this widow’s oil and flour never run out so that she could continue to feed the three of them. But then in these next verses the woman’s son becomes sick and dies.

In her grief and despair at her son’s death, the woman does as people are apt to do – she lashes out at those around her. In this case, that was Elijah. What inspired me though was Elijah’s response. What was conspicuously absent was self defense. I’ve got to tell you that when I’m attacked by someone, the first thing that I want to do is to explain myself, defend my actions. But Elijah didn’t; he was moved by her pain and went to God to intercede for her. He was more concerned about her grief than himself.

That I would be the same way.

2 comments:

David-FireAndGrace said...

That's a good word!

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a good weekend

Blog Widget by LinkWithin