Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Friday, April 8, 2011

What's in a Name?

Periodically I like to take some time to think on one of names of God.

This morning I spent some time thinking on what’s referred to as “Lord of Hosts” in the New American Standard version of the Bible, or “Lord Almighty” in the New Living Translation, or “God-of-the-Angel-Armies” in The Message paraphrase.

I spent some time reading and thinking about the following Bible verses: 1 Samuel 17:45, Isaiah 2:12 , Isaiah 5:16, Isaiah 6:3, Isaiah 37:16, Jeremiah 11:20, Jeremiah 31:35, Jeremiah 50:34, and Zechariah 7:9-10.

It’s a wonderful thing to think on a name of God. As I read scripture after scripture the Holy Spirit rose up faith within my spirit. Faith in the All Powerful God. The God Who alone created the heavens and the earth, the one who causes the moon and stars to shine and makes waves in the sea. The Holy God. The God who is just and will not let evil go unpunished forever.

As I thought on these aspects of God I was filled with both wonder, and a bit of fear. I mean, scripture is clear that He will always love me, yet He is just. I’d do best to stay on the right side of His justice, to follow His ways to begin with so that I won’t have to incur His discipline.

I was also encouraged that I have help in God, especially when there’s no other help.

I have a few situations in my life right now that don’t look so good; in the natural there’s no good end in sight. But God is the one Who created what is natural; He can choose to do whatever He wants. He is more than powerful to bring about resolution and good outcomes in these life situations.

I’m so grateful that I can trust in the All Powerful God.

What about you, what need in your life does the fact that He is the Almighty God speak to?

2 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Greetings Tracy,

You have been tagged on my Blog here:

http://timeforreflections.blogspot.com/2011/04/why-i-love-jesus.html

Please visit the link. Thanx.

God bless.

RCUBEs said...

Wow! That picture alone speaks volume! He often comforts me to let me know that I shouldn't worry in this battle I'm in at work, because He is in charge!
We sang "Your Name" by Paul Baloche this morning at our church's fellowship. So beautiful even to hear His Name "Jesus"...God bless you sister.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin