Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Friday, July 30, 2010

Do you long to be beautiful?

I have yet to meet the woman who doesn't have an inner longing to be beautiful.

Stasi Eldridge and her husband talk a lot about this truth in their book Captivating. We're all more than aware of how the fashion and cosmetics industries capitalize on this need in the souls of women.

My own recognition of this need in myself and others caused me to be quite captivated by a few scriptures I came across during my time with God this morning.

I was reading in Ephesians 5:26-27, focusing on what Christ has done for His church. But the way Eugene Peterson paraphrased these verses, specifically the 2nd half of the 26th verse, in The Message especially caught my attention. He put it this way:

Christ's love makes the church whole. His words evoke her beauty.

Christ's words evoke the beauty of His bride, the church. So how can I hear Christ's words?

Certainly the Holy Spirit speaks to my heart. The Holy Spirit also takes the Bible and quickens it to my soul and mind. I truly believe that studying God's Word, taking in what it says, changes us. Brings out the beauty within which God created us to exude. I believe this includes both internal and external beauty.

Ecclesiastes 8:1 reminds me:

Who is like the wise man? Who knows the explanation of things? Wisdom brightens a man's face and changes its hard appearance.

Have you ever looked into the face of physically attractive person, but found them unattractive because of something "hard" about their face? Perhaps something in the eyes or expression. Or have you ever met someone who looked old beyond their years, like they'd had a terrible life? There's no doubt that who we are, how we've lived, affects how we appear.

What kind of beauty is it that you long for?

5 comments:

Deborah Ann said...

I find of late I'm not using any make-up. I want that inside beauty that is a treasure to Christ.

Reading the word and spending time with God is one part of reflecting that beauty, but I'm learning that just accepting who I am and feeling comfortable with that is another part of the process. I think He's longing for us to just be...us! To walk into the light and just be natural, honest, and down to earth.

Michelle said...

I believe I long for the "inner" beauty, too. I struggled for many years with comparisons. I find that who and what I surround myself with is what determines my level of vanity. I especially have been conscious to put away those issues since I now have a daughter. I don't even like for the word "skinny" to be used around her. There is an image I know all too well that I hope she does not carry with her.

Duane Scott said...

Now, it's not only women that face this.

Men can be just as vain.

And yes, I strongly advise all men with a unabrow to nip their manliness in the bud and pluck 'em.

That said, God should be the first thing people see when they look at us.

Well, provided the unabrow is outta there. :)

May said...

I totally agree with you how we've lived, affects how we appear. Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.-Proverbs 31:30

A Mother Always said...

When you get to know and see the inside beauty of a person, I don't dwell on the outer looks.
I hope it works on others for me too the same way.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin