Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Friday, July 2, 2010

Am I the same person behind closed doors?


I don't know about you, but I've always been uncomfortable with those Bible passages that seem to be telling me to be perfect or blameless; like Genesis 17:1 and Matthew 19:21.

But today as I was studying in Genesis 17, I came across some comments made by Beth Moore that I found helpful. She was speaking with regard to the way God told Abraham to walk before Him and be blamelessness/perfect in Genesis 17:1:

"The word translated perfect in King James and blameless in NIV doesn't mean sinless. It means "I am God, huge and powerful. I don't need you. You need me. Now, take every step with the keen awareness that you walk continually before My gaze. I want all of you - not one person behind closed doors and another in the open. I want you mind as well as your heart. I want your soul as well as your spirit. If you want to do do this thing with Me, get all the way in."

Periodically I have to ask myself if I really am all the way in. Periodically I realize that I've gotten into wanting all God has for me, but am only giving Him a part of me, while there's this other part....

How about you, do you ever find that you've not given God your entire self?

5 comments:

J Curtis said...

Great. Now I'll have that Charlie Rich song in my head all day. Thanks ;-)

Tracy said...

Ha! You're definitely dating yourself with that comment JD. I cam still remember bringing my EIGHT TRACK of that album to my best friend's house so we could listen to that song. Thinking it was so cool and we were all of about 12 and didn't really even understand the song.

David-FireAndGrace said...

Great question. I always remember Bill Clinton trying to deny what happened behind closed doors.

Ever since that time, I have had a much keener awareness of where I really stand with God. I just came through a good long time in the desert, and one of the things that was important to me (and Him), even though I wasn't being used, was what anyone would have to say about me from work, church; even my wife. It's amazing how much comes out of the woodwork when you start to get out there and really minister in Jesus' name.

What's an 8-track? ;o)

May said...

Hi Tracy,
Though it's a struggle sometimes, I continue to prepare to give my entire self to God. He deserve more than we can ever give.

Duane Scott said...

Great question. No. I'm not. But I'm okay with that. The person I am behind doors tends to burp once in a while.

Not that you needed to know that. Oh, you mean spiritually? I try really hard. But thanks for the reminder.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin