What do you think makes a great leader?
I'm thinking about this because I received an email yesterday from our warden, my direct day to day boss, that he is leaving. He's leaving for personal/health related reasons. He'll be here until the middle of April. Upon reading that I found myself thinking - I put up with all this nonsense here because of him; he's a great leader and I adore working together with him. I'm not so sure it would be worth it with someone else.
Of course that got me to thinking about why he's a great leader. There are many reasons but the ones that stand out most for me are:
- He's a man of integrity in every way.
- He would never throw me or anyone else under the bus. He does what is right and lets the chips fall where they may. He takes responsibility for everything in this place; even if I mess up, since he's my boss.
- His word is gold.
- He's phenomenally knowledgeable and smart.
- He has a total sense of passion and urgency about him that motivates me.
- He sincerely cares about both staff and the individuals in our custody.
- He is willing to do any task and doesn't see anything as beneath him.
- He works hard and is willing to do what it takes to get the job done.
What about you, what do you think makes a great leader? Have you ever worked with a great leader in your professional or personal life? I'd be interested in hearing about that experience, this topic interests me a lot.