In John 10:10 Jesus promises His followers abundant life. This blog is about my life as His follower.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

What do you think?

My oldest son Devon facebooked me these two youtubes:

http://youtu.be/1IAhDGYlpqY

http://youtu.be/Ru_tC4fv6FE

He suggested that I first view the first and then the second.

What are your thoughts on these?

Since Devon sent them, added to fact that Devon converted to Catholicism a couple of years ago, makes it apparant that he agrees with the second video.

I love my son more than words can express. I respect the man he's become.

But I can't really agree with the second video. I do not think the rock upon which Christ proclaimed He'd build His church was referring to the local church or religion; I think it was referring to faith in Christ.

If you know me at all you know that I love the local body. I participate faithfully in my local church and raised all three of my sons in church. So I appreciate Devon's love for the church as well. I know that God wants to work through His local body of Belivers in all the locations at which they meet, and I think He ordained the local church to teach and encourage in the faith. But, since the local church and religion are made up of people - it is indeed imperfect at best. Religion and church membership can not make you right with God - only Jesus can!

I'd be very interested in your responses to these two videos.

3 comments:

JD Curtis said...

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it Tracy.

Sure there are doctrinal differences, but it's not like giving oneself over to the Mormon/Jehovah's Witnesses/Moonies cabal so prevalent these days.

I'll check out the videos and post my thoughts on them.

Jenny Gallegos said...

I cannot fully give my thoughts on this since I have not read the full contents of the bible...

I've read Christian books and all of them says that we need the church to be with other believers--bible study, pray for each other, talk to our pastors about what bothers us, etc.--but am I right in saying that the first video is not all for it?

Mike said...

"You are Petros (a chip of rock) and on this Petra (the rock itself) I will build my church."

Linguistically, the "rock" to which Jesus referred was NOT Peter, but his confession of faith in Jesus Christ.

Without Christ, there is no Church; without Peter, there is simply no Peter.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin