Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

How comfortable are you with intimacy?


Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday I look forward to our small group. We've been reading a chapter from a book entitled Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver prior to each meeting and then going through a corresponding Bible study at the back of the book when we meet.

As I'm looking forward to our time together tonight I'm reflecting on the chapter for this week; it's about intimacy with God. I approached this chapter with some trepidation because the truth of the matter is that, although I long for intimacy with God, I'm not at all good at being close to God or to people either. I'm one of those people who it takes a really long time before I'm comfortable around others. If I'm totally candid, the truth is that just as I don't know what to say when I'm around people (aside from those very few with whom I've become totally comfortable), it frequently feels awkward unless there's some specific agenda that is to take place (as in work relationships).

In the past I've frequently approached God much the same way. Comfortable to use the passage from Matthew 6:9-13 as an outline, or to work my way through a specific Bible study curriculum, or even to just read the Bible. What I'm not particularly comfortable with is being quiet, being "with" God, or to take out more than 20 minutes for prayer.

Because of this deficit in me, I approached this chapter eager to learn. I'm sure grateful that we have a Heavenly Father who accepts us as we are, yet works with us to change and grow and become better.

What about you, are you, how would you rate your intimacy with God? Do you feel close to God? Do you know you're living in connection with Him and experiencing the outgrowth of that connection in your life, work, and relationships?

3 comments:

David-FireAndGrace said...

I think I am doing OK. Actually got yanked out of my regular routine now that I am on vacation. I spend a lot of time sort of hanging out with God and soaking in His presence at work and on my long rides to church. Music makes it easier. But I am enjoying my quiet time with Him. I so look forward to it.

Michelle said...

I spend a lot of time thinking about God and His Word. I'm still not sure I would say it is intimacy. I know I read some of the other things people write about their closeness to God and I desire that for myself. I'm not a very intimate person with people in general. I do know that even though I may not "feel" intimate, that the Spirit has made tremendous changes in the person I am.

Let me know how the book is...I've been looking at it for awhile but haven't read it.

RCUBEs said...

I've felt that and there was no word to describe when we are walking in Spirit and Truth. Then, I backslid and that was when I didn't feel and longed for that intimacy I once had with Him. I am a big work in progress and I don't have a problem getting intimate with God, it's more with people. It's not easy for me to trust also. That's where I need to grow. Happy New Year sister Tracy.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin