Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Friday, December 17, 2010

A different kind of investment group

I was thinking today about a group that I belong to and how it's a different kind of investment group.

Instead of keeping each other informed about stocks and bonds and investment opportunities, we keep each other informed about our lives. Instead of investing our money, we're investing our time into one another.

Currently there are four of us women and we meet together twice each month. When we meet we talk and laugh a lot. Three of us have teenagers and we share our struggles and triumphs with our kids. We talk about the challenges in our lives. We pray for one another. We share in each other's victories. We study the Bible together. One of the ladies plays the guitar, and she always plays a few songs of praise, adoration and worship that we sing together.

We've been meeting together for close to two years. I'm so grateful that I had these friends when I went through a bunch of terrible stuff at my old job, and when I even lost my job. That was totally devasting and it made such a difference to not have to go through that alone. Sometimes when something really good happens to me, I look forward to getting to share with these ladies all about it. Mostly I just look forward to getting to "let down my hair", to talk and laugh with these ladies. My sons and husband have always been amazed in general with how much women have to talk about when they get together. To me it's just one of the things I adore about women.

I couldn't resist posting this picture because I think it depicts that type of connection that can happen among women. That silly, fun, sisterhood kind of thing.

What about you, do you have a group in your life that makes all the difference for you?

4 comments:

David-FireAndGrace said...

I am convinced that the goal of Christian fellowship is to be intimate enough to confess our sins to one another. Of course, encouraging each other and bearing one another's burdens is part of the package.

My experience is that there has been too much religion (study, worship, general prayer as opposed to specific) at small groups I have been a part of. I belonged to a men's group that was closed. It was about telling our whole story - but even that sort of became religious.

I think part of what has been missing for me is shared experiences. I like to do things, which is part of how I build meaningful relationships.

I am so grateful to hear about folks that have fun together, and know the details of each other's lives. You are a blessed woman!

Merry Christmas, Tracy.

May said...

Wishing you and your a Merry Christmas. Blessings.

Duane Scott said...

If it weren't for my Brothers in Christ, I would not be saved.

Great post!

RCUBEs said...

Passing by to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year sister Tracy! God bless.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin