Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Thinking on things authentic

Poster taken from http://jasrinsingh.com/
I'm continuing in Philippians 4:4-8, still unpacking that 8th verse (MSG):

Summing it all up friends, I'd say you'd do best by filling your minds with and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling and gracious - the best, not the worst; the beautiful not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.

In order to increase my grasp on the meaning of authentic I'm going to see how this same verse, specifically that word, was translated in other versions:
  •  whatever [hosos] is pure [hagnos] (MOUNCE)
  • whatever is pure (NIV)
  • whatever is pure (AMP)
  • whatsoever things are pure (KJV)
  • whatever is pure (NET)
  • and pure (NLT)
  • whatever things holy (WYC)
  • as many as [are] pure (YLT)    
 Why did Peterson in his Message paraphrase use authentic instead of pure? What's the connection?   

When I look up definitions for authentic they all talk about being genuine, of indisputable origin.  Pure is like that too.  Pure can mean undiluted, free from contamination.  Maybe God's talking here about not letting the world's view creep into my thinking.  To fill my mind with, and mediate on His truth.

So how can this look in every day life?
  
There are so many messages that come to me everyday that are contrary to the Word.  Here's some examples:
  
  • When I see the beautiful women displayed on billboards, in magazines, and on TV; do I feel less than? Or, do I remember that God's word tells me in Psalm 139:13-14 that I'm wonderfully made?
  • When I feel overwhelmed at work do I let the thoughts of inadequacy slip in? Or, do I fix my mind on God's Word that says in Philippians 4:12-14 that I can do whatever is needed through Christ who strengthens me? 
  • When I see my middle son making wrong choices and going down the wrong path, do I get discouraged and give in to hopelessness? Or, do I fix my mind on the Word that directs me in Proverbs 3:4-6 to put my trust in God? Do I remember that in Jeremiah 29:11 God says He has good plans for His people? Do I think about how  Proverbs 22:6 explains that if I train a child in God's says, he will not depart from God? 

As I've been unpacking this verse, repeatedly I've been impressed with the importance God places on my thought life.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin