Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Advent Day 5 - The unexpected Christ

Photo from http://www.thejoecatholic.org/
As I was reading an advent devotional these words struck a chord for me:

 “God certainly does awesome deeds that we could not expect.” 

I find this true repeatedly.

No time more so than in the birth of Christ. Luke 2:1-7 describes the humble circumstances of Jesus’ birth. In the first chapter of Genesis I see Jesus present in creation. In Scriptures such as Jude 1:25, Revelation 4, and Revelation 5:6-14 I see God’s glory in Jesus.  These scriptures show that Jesus is the all powerful creator and worthy of worship.   Yet God chose to separate Himself and take on the form of a mere human.  He even chose to be a human of lowly origin.  

My husband John and I were just talking the other night about how the humbleness of Jesus’ birth is so different than how we think as humans.  Perhaps by sending Jesus in a lowly condition God is reminding us of our extreme need. Jesus came humbly because he stood in the place of people who had been brought low by sin. It may be that we need a reminder of our lowliness whenever God visits us so that we won’t be tempted to think that God's mercy reflects well on us. May I never think that I gratify God by my worship or good deeds May I never turn God's grace into grounds for boasting. Jesus the Savior in the manger reminds me that Jesus' birth was all about God's condescension, not my deserving.  

God continues to do things differently than I expect.  I want to be strong and good for His glory.  Instead I mess up all the time.  Then I see in Scriptures such as Matthew 5:2-3 and 2 Corinthians 12:5-10 that when I am at my weakest it is a good thing, because then I can give it all over to Him.  When I am weak and humbled I can let go and let Him do the work through me.

These thoughts encourage me.  My life is normally busy; family, work, school, ministry.   The advent season then brings extra things.  Things which are a blessing but I’m starting to feel that overwhelming feeling – how can I do it all?  I’m starting to feel totally inadequate.  Meditating on who Jesus is and how He came to earth, and about how God does things in unexpected ways, helps put matters into perspective for me.  It makes me realize anew that it’s not about me.  It’s about God and His plan.  It’s about me just looking to Him for what He wants me to do.  Looking to Him for the strength to do those things.  Looking for Him to do His work through me.

Oh Father, You know I can’t do this on my own. Please teach me how to let You work through me.  Help me learn how to depend on You in every situation.  Thank You that You do great and mighty things and even choose to use lowly people like me.  May your will be done in my life today.  

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin