Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Can't we all just get along?

Have you seen that bumper sticker, or heard the sentiment elsewhere, Can't we all just get along?

Whenever I see this bumper sticker I think to myself that the answer is no. We can't always just all get along.

While I believe that we can work to overlook differences, and tolerance is often a good thing, and respect is necessary, there ARE things worth fighting for.

Recently my son Devon shared this quote from Ehud Olmert that I adore:

"We will not hesitate, we will not apologize and we will not back off...This anarchy is over. You can condemn us, you can boycott us, you can stop visiting us and, if necessary, we will stop visiting you...Never again will we wait for salvation that never arrives...[we] are now capable of standing up to those who seek [our]des...truction - those people will no longer be able to hide behind women and children. They will no longer be able to evade their responsibility... You are welcome to judge us, to ostracize us, to boycott us and to vilify us. But to kill us? Absolutely not."

This is a man who knows what he believes is worth fighting for.

How about you, is there anything you think is worth fighting for?

4 comments:

RCUBEs said...

We seemed to have the same sentiment today sister Tracy. While we must learn to forgive the offenders, we must not tolerate their sins, their senseless acts! Glory be to God! Have a great day! God bless.

David-FireAndGrace said...

There are times when we stand up and fight, it is just God's will.

I battle with when to say something, and when to keep quiet.

One must hear God.

It happens at work, at church, with my wife, with my kids... God has a will.

My job is to obey His will and when I don't know it, seek it out.

Some times it is standing up and saying: "Jesus said, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

For that, one must be willing to die.

John Cowart said...

Worth fighting for?

Who gets the remote!

But, I don't think that the answer you are looking for.

Duane Scott said...

You are right. Some things are worth fighting for.

Some things God would want us to fight for.

But I do think there is a way to get along and still stand up for what we know is right at the same time. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin