Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Are you a perfectionist or just a high achiever?


This question interests me because I'm a recovering perfectionist who wants to be a high achiever.

Perfectionism is my enemy.

I've struggled against it for as long as I can remember. Although you'd never know it to look at me since I'm certainly not perfect in any way!

But I've often let it rob me of joy.

I want things so just right that when I fail, as everyone is prone to at some point, I sometimes want to just give up because it won't be "just right" any more.

I even have daydreams about things being perfect; total organization in my home, perfectly planned meals and family traditions, the best in my career, etc.

I want change and am working to do so. I want to be someone who strives for excellence in a healthy way but not a perfectionist. I think healthy people who desire excellence take genuine pleasure in trying to meet high standards. I've been known, in my perfectionistic mode, to be full of self-doubts and fears of disapproval, ridicule and rejection. I want to have drive, but not be driven.

It seems like I've been doing well in this arena but I find that I have to be on the aware because it creeps up on me. I'm reminded of the verse in 1 Peter 5:8 that says to:

Be of sober spirit, be on the alert Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

For me, one of the forms the enemy takes on is the voice of perfectionism.

Do you ever struggle with this black/white perfectionism?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tracy! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to staying in touch. Keep writing!

Ken

Tia Lynn said...

I tend to be a grey thinker and more comfortable with imperfect results, although I do strive to be better and do my best. Perfectionism defintely steals the joy out of any task or goal, setting unrealistic standards and heavy pressure on oneself and others. I'm happy you are recovering :)

Tracy said...

That's awesome Tia Lynn that you're comfortable with grey because so much of life is like that.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin