Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pockets filled with holes

I was reading during my morning devotions in Haggai and came across these verses in Haggai 1:5-6 (NLT) :

5 This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies says: Look at what’s happening to you! 6 You have planted much but harvest little. You eat but are not satisfied. You drink but are still thirsty. You put on clothes but cannot keep warm. Your wages disappear as though you were putting them in pockets filled with holes!

Who does this sound like to you?

I don't know about you, but I was struck with how much this sounds like a large portion of Americans.

Now I recognize that, in context, this scripture is about when God spoke through His prophet Haggai to Israel because the people were free and out of captivity, but had ceased to re-build the temple of God. In verse 4 He's even explaining that the people are living in luxurious homes while the temple lies in ruins. But I also believe that a principle can be lifted out of this situation.

Neglecting to re-build the temple is an awful lot like neglecting God. It just really hit me this morning as I was reading what a prevalent the situation is described in these 5-6th verses; how many people do you know who could say that they feel like they put their wages into pockets with holes in them?

As I read this I'm filled with gratitude that I don't have to live that way. I can honestly say that my family is never without all our needs met. By God's grace and direction in the Bible concerning money and possessions, giving, and debt I never feel this way. I'm always able to save and give.

Having said that however, there are also tons of things we don't buy or do that I see the people around me (the ones who would say yes they've got the holes in their pockets) buying and doing. There are also things we do with our money that the holes-in-their-pockets folks don't do.

The relevancy and usefulness of the Bible never ceases to amaze me!

3 comments:

Desiray said...

WOW! Now that is what I call having an encounter with the Lord, it's in those moments that mean the most for He speaks and teach us so much. And most of the times we don't even stop to listen when He reveals Himself to us this way

Unknown said...

I think not only Americans but people all over the world.
The Bible is amazing because it is God's Word and the Truth.....timeless and true.

Ms Lesa said...

I am all too familiar with the "holes in the pocket". Thank you for share your intimate moment with the Lord. I appreciate this post. It has given me insight to ponder this morning.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin